Marvel Phile

Posted by Ty States 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Marvel Phile
November 14, 2002 12:51PM
I just came across this site that appears to have every Marvel Phile, or almost all of them, in pdf format.

[msh.kythri.net]

I put a link to it on my page. If I'd seen this I might not have made a Philes section at my site. And I thought I did a good job with as many as I had:)

[rivendell.fortunecity.com]

MSH Classic RPG System
Re: Marvel Phile
November 14, 2002 02:32PM
ooooh....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
November 14, 2002 02:34PM
Neat.
November 14, 2002 02:39PM
Cool.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
November 14, 2002 04:55PM
havent we mentioned this already in previous posts... I am sure we have.... thanks any way. But I already have it. I am sure that everyone else who doesn't know about it will like it as well.

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
Spirit
November 14, 2002 05:54PM
I'd like to see it get it's own section, actually, like Wild Cards did.
November 14, 2002 06:53PM
that'd be cool, but might involve some legal issues....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
November 14, 2002 06:55PM
Oh yeah.
November 14, 2002 07:00PM
Someone else already posted all of those things and didn't worry about legal issues.

MSH Classic RPG System
Spirit
November 14, 2002 07:03PM
That doesn't mean there aren't any, though.
November 14, 2002 07:18PM
a-yup

and even if that site has legal permission to host 'em, that doesn't do squat for Auntie P...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
November 14, 2002 07:21PM
Would anyone really even care if an out-of-print magazine article about an out-of-print game from 10 years ago is on a web page?
November 14, 2002 08:31PM
copyright laws can be funny things...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
November 14, 2002 08:44PM
Yeah, lawyers, too.
DavidEMartin
Well, I didn't know about this site!
November 14, 2002 09:32PM
Thanks, Ty!
Now I've got five of my articles in PDF!
November 15, 2002 12:31AM
They still sell a CD with all the back issues of Dragon on it so they might have something to say.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
November 15, 2002 04:51PM
only if they care enough to spend time locating it.

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
Spirit
November 15, 2002 05:35PM
Or if we decide rat Auntie out. ;)
DavidEMartin
Hasbro/Kenner/Wotc/TSR (deceased) might not care
November 15, 2002 06:57PM
From what I've been gathering, K/H is dumping most of its TSR-originated components. The publishing arm is going, aside from producing the necessary game books. DRAGON is already in other hands. AMAZING STORIES is dead again.
In fact, I just learned Jeff Grubb got the ax several months ago, which would explain why he never answered my emails.

The TSR situation seems to be exactly like what happened to another Wisconsin corporation, American Motors. There the owners scammed a boatload of money from a pro-big business Republican governor ("to stay in business"), used the capital to inflate its value, and sold themselves to Chrysler. Chrysler then demolished the company, fired most of the staff, and extracted the few things they wanted (in this case, the Jeep license, which ironically AMC had earlier taken from another company).

In this case, Lorraine Williams decided she'd made TSR valuable enough it was time to sell. WotC meanwhile were realizing that WotC was a single product company in desperate need to diversify their product base and possessing enough money to buy a product line. So.... WotC gives Williams a boatload of money and she vanishes from gaming. The acquisition of the AD&D line now makes WotC valuable enough to warrant attention from Hasbro/Kenner, who have been busy buying up once-big toy and game companies. H/K buys WotC/TSR and starts filleting it to recover the properties it wants (AD7D, Magic), selling off anything sellable (the magazines, the convention), and firing anyone they didn't feel like keeping (which is turning out to be most everyone).
Which explains why I'm seeing familiar names now appearing in other product lines and familiar product lines appearing under new names.

Which, assuming you're still awake, is why H/K is probably unlikely to care much about online reproductions of old articles. The current owners of the copyright are so far removed from the original material they may not be aware of or care about such matters.
Spirit
November 15, 2002 07:11PM
Well there you have it, Auntie. Go for it.

Oh and when you're in the electric chair, tell them David sent you. :hot-hot-hot:

Hey if Grubb's not busy, why doesn't he drop in, too? I bet he'd be a huge help on some of our revamps and such.
Or is there only room for one rpg living legend here?

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.