10 days of Halloween: Daniel 'Doc' Torrance

Posted by thejackolantern 
10 days of Halloween: Daniel 'Doc' Torrance
October 24, 2009 12:54PM
Remember what Mr. Hallorann said. It's just like pictures in a book, Danny. It isn't real.

The son of Jack Torrance and the object of the forces in the Overlook Hotel, Danny Torrance represents both the victim and the protagonist in Stephen KIng's The Shining. Guided by his future self, Danny is shown to not only be an intelligent, curious, and brave child, but a powerful telepath, one capable of communicating with himself from a point in the future. Danny's unique power or 'Shining' makes him formidible, and with the activecell in the Overlook, it makes him dangerous.

While his father Jack becomes a victim of the machinizations of the Overlook, it's Danny's will that reinforces his father's, and ultimately, allows his father to reassume control long enough to destroy the Overlook.

Danny represents a sort of combination of horror hero and iconic innocent, and with the abilities that are suggested throughout The Shining makes him an interesting character, especially when he's older.

The write-up is speculative on Daniel Torrance when he is older and represented as 'Tony', projecting himself back into his own past and being the guiding voice to Danny.

Daniel Torrance

F: Gd (10)
A: Gd (10)
S: Typ (6)
E: Gd (10)
R: Gd (10)
I: Rm (30)
P: Am (50)

Health: 36
Popularity: 0
Resources: Typ (6)

Talents:
Psionic Combat*
Occult Lore*

Powers:
Psionic Prodigy: Daniel Torrance is a powerful psionic, capable of feats not normally seen. Daniel's abilities include:
- Telepathy: Ex (20)
- AStral Perception: Rm (30)
- Empathy: Rm (30)
- Postcognition: Rm (30)
- Incarnation Awareness: Daniel Torrance has the unique ability to communicate with himself in the past, and as such, appears as a manifested vision only younger Danny is aware of.
- Astral Project: Rm (30)
- Dream Travel: Danny can travel into his own dreams and into others (as seen in the novel) with Rm (30) ability
- Telekinesis: Danny can manifest his emotions in telekinetic force with Ex (20) ability
- Psionic Manifestation: Danny can create objects and give force to psionic manifestations with Am (50), such as making hedge creatures come to live, give form and substance to the dead, and create force to illusions.
- Precognition*: Daniel has In (40) precognitive abilities, some from conversations with his future self, others through dreams.
- Postcognition - the 'Shining': Danny can perceive the past and items with history with In (40) ability. Danny does not necessarily need to touch an item to gain said powers.
- Total Memory: Daniel has some degree of perfect recall with Gd (10) ability

Contacts:
Richard Halloran: Family Friend, fellow psionic, and mentor.

Limitations:
Age: Daniel's powers are represented here as a young adult. As a child, Daniel is considered not to have access to most of these powers, and is also considered to have the 'uncontrollable' aspect.

Note:
Daniel's psyche is statted at Amazing for several reasons. First, at age 6, Danny has Ex (20) psyche....this was untrained and prior to the events of the book. In the novel, it clearly shows that as he is older, Daniel Torrance is clearly more in control, stronger willed, and capable of hiding his presence from the Overlook.

This write-up focuses almost solely on the novel and not the movie and the mini-series. While I like both the movie and the mini, the novel is still my favorite.
Re: 10 days of Halloween: Daniel 'Doc' Torrance
October 28, 2009 05:19PM
I've never actually watched that movie, but it appears to be a decent NPC to throw in for some depth.
September 29, 2015 02:42PM
Will you do another write up now that Doctor Sleep is out in the stores?
September 30, 2015 06:53AM
Well, I hope to one day...I need to finish the book, and then I got distracted, but it's on my list and I'll probably update Doc then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 25
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.